Lemon bars with Ginger Shortbread
Lemon Bars with Ginger Shortbread
makes one 13 x 9″ pan
inspired by lemon bars from Dessert for breakfast (I’ve made two version, with or without ginger..as you like!)
1/2 cup (55 gr) powdered sugar
1 1/2 cups (215 gr) AP flour
1/4 tspn salt
3/4 cup (170 gr) unsalted butter, at room temperature
15 gr freshly grated ginger (see note)
60 gr crystallized ginger, chopped
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Grease and flour the bottom and sides of one 13 x 9″ pan. Set aside.
2. In a mixer bowl with the paddle attachment, combine the powdered sugar, flour, and salt.
3. Add the butter and freshly grated ginger to the flour mixture, and mix on low until a smooth dough begins to form.
4. Press the dough into a thin layer at the bottom of the prepared pan. Scatter the chopped crystallized ginger on top, pressing it very lightly into the dough.
5. Place a piece of parchment paper over the crust and fill with pie weights (or beans). Bake in the oven for 25-35 minutes, rotating once halfway through, until the crust is a deep golden brown around the edges.
Meanwhile, make the filling:
1/2 cup (70 gr) AP flour
2 cups (400 gr) sugar
freshly grated zest of two or three lemons
1 cup + 2 Tbspn freshly squeezed lemon juice
6 large eggs
1 egg yolk
pinch of salt
1. In a bowl, whisk to combine the flour, sugar, lemon zest, and lemon juice.
2. In a separate bowl, whisk together the eggs, egg yolk, and salt.
3. Whisk the eggs into the flour mixture thoroughly.
4. As soon as the crust is done, remove the pie weights and parchment paper and pour the filling into the hot pan (make sure the pan is hot).
5. Return the pan to the oven, reduce the heat to 300 degrees F, and bake for 25-35 minutes, just until the center of the custard does not jiggle.
6. Remove from the oven and let cool completely on a wire rack. Chill well before cutting, and, if desired, dust the tops with sifted powdered sugar.
Note: I used young ginger because I prefer the brightness and spiciness of it for baking with lemons, but regular ginger works here, too.
Risvegli…. | Cooking Planner
25 Mag 2011 08:05 pm
[…] RICETTA: LEMON BARS WITH GINGER SHORTBREAD English_version […]
Leave a Comment