Lamingtons (by Mowieliscious)
For the sponge cake:
200g (roughly 1 1/2 cups) plain flour
225g (roughly 1 cup) caster sugar
80g (1/3 cup) melted butter
For the coating:
200g (roughly 2 cups) dessicated coconut
400g (roughly 3 1/4 cups) icing sugar
115g (1 cup) cocoa powder
100g (slightly less than half a cup) melted butter
100ml (slightly less than half a cup) hot water
1. Preheat oven to 180˚C. Whisk eggs and sugar with an electric mixer for about 10 minutes until light and fluffy.
2. Add the flour and fold through. Gently fold through the melted butter.
3. Line the base of a rectangular 30cm (12in) cake tin with baking paper, pour the batter into the tin and bake for 30-40 minutes. To check if the cake is ready, stick a metal skewer into the middle of the cake. If the skewer comes out clean, the cake is ready.
4. Cool on a wire rack. Once cool, cut off all the edges and crusts. Cut this into roughly 8cm cubes, or whatever size you’d like your Lamingtons to be.
5. Whisk the icing sugar, cocoa powder and hot water together in a bowl. Fold in the melted butter.
6. Dip all sides of the sponge cubes into the chocolate mixture and then toss the cubes through dessicated coconut to cover. Allow to harden on a wire rack, then refrigerate to fully solidify.